Network penetration testing is a necessary element of information security for any organization.
Software products are being constantly developed, as well as many technically innovative applications and various versions of operating systems are being created. Meanwhile, the rapid development of software leaves little time for their thorough checking, initially due to the complexity of the code in the latest applications, but also because of the human factor. As a result, bugs found in the application code gradually transform into software vulnerabilities. It should be noted that the complexity of identifying vulnerabilities is of great importance to software developers and experts in information computer security, as well as to technical experts who create, implement, and maintain business applications.
Networks penetration testing. What is that?
A security penetration test enables identification of weaknesses in the protection of corporate networks and components of network infrastructure. Technically, this service involves the assessment of both external and internal vulnerabilities, and threats. This process is performed with automated tools for examining the probability of intrusion, in addition to manual hacking methods used by attackers.
Methods and organization of work on the implementation of network perimeter penetration testing by Roundsec
The network perimeter penetration testing procedure by Roundsec company includes the following stages:
- Planning the procedure of a network pentest. At this stage, we determine the duration, the cost of the work to be performed, the necessary kind of methodology, the form and type of the report.
- Collecting official public information about the network infrastructure.
- External comprehensive security scanning is carried out with the help of the Black Box mechanism. The specialists of the Roundsec company perform their work remotely over the Internet by organizing a number of attacks through the well-known resources of the client.
- Internal comprehensive sequential security analysis is carried out by means of White Box or Grey Box systems. The client provides remote access to his internal networks. Specialists of Roundsec simulate intrusions using the access of staff members of your company.
- Illegal intrusion into the system structure (exploitation of vulnerabilities). Detected potential vulnerabilities are tested manually to identify any false positives. This process involves:
- – verification and comprehensive analysis of identified vulnerabilities;
- – a selection of codes, ciphers, passwords, keys;
- – identifying and justifying certain vulnerabilities;
- – collecting arguments for confirmation.
- Developing and providing reporting documentation on net penetration testing.
- Cleaning up the network system from the implications of testing.
Report as a result of testing of the network equipment
The outcome of the performed penetration testing is described in detail in the pentester’s report. It should be pointed out that neither the form nor the content of the pentest report is regulated at the legislative level. This shows that the information in the report is determined by the expert himself. The final outcomes of the test conducted by qualified Roundsec employees are presented in the form of a detailed report that includes the following points:
- the exact date of the start of the work and its completion;
- determining the reasons for conducting the research;
- information about the tested objects;
- resources provided by the client;
- clear boundaries within which net pentest was carried out;
- methods, techniques, tactics, and tools that were used during the implementation of the penetration test of the company’s networks;
- applicable software;
- unforeseen situations while performing the testing;
- the process of carrying out certain works;
- an inventory of detected bugs and malfunctions, as well as the level of their criticality and the possibility of being exploited by potential attackers;
- description of the characteristic points of the breach scenarios involved;
- detailed summary of the outcome of pentest;
- basic determination of the organization’s information security risks;
- main characteristics of the company’s information system security mechanisms;
- a set of recommendations on how to eliminate the identified vulnerabilities and improve the mechanisms of organization’s cybersecurity.
As a result of conducting an objective pentest, you, as a customer, will receive detailed information about the vulnerabilities of your network infrastructure. Also you will be provided with thorough professional instructions and clear recommendations for the elimination of exposures.
Details of the procedure
Network pentest is carried out using an extensive list of popular professional programs and modern applications (selection of ciphers, passwords, codes, keys, search for fully unprotected ports of IP networks, detection of malware). The preferable method of pentesting for wired and wireless networks is agreed with each customer individually.
The duration of the pentest of networks is determined to a greater extent by the scale of the defined tasks and the degree of security of the test objects. The approximate time of work completion is from 14 days.
Why do major companies order our services of networks pentest for resistance to a breach?
The Roundsec company team consists of qualified specialists in the field of penetration testing.
Certified employees of Roundsec company have extensive knowledge of the world’s best practices, national standards in the information security sphere and many years of practical experience in performing such work. At the same time, our cybersecurity specialists use a number of their own developments to identify vulnerabilities in the target information system, then penetrate it without compromising the company, and, afterwards, provide a detailed objective description of the real state of its security level.
Roundsec’s network pentesting methodology is developed on the basis of generally recognized international practices.